The Center has been closed to the public since March 18th and to staff since March 21st. Our air filters have been professionally replaced to hospital-grade filters and the Center has been professionally cleaned and sanitized to make it a safe place upon reopening during that time.
The following changes will affect all Virginia Air & Space Center visitors:
- The Center will reopen on July 1, 2020, for exhibits and IMAX with the revised hours of 10:30 am – 4:00 pm Monday through Saturday, and 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm on Sunday; however, the Center will be open for summer camps ONLY from June 22nd – 26th.
- Masks will be REQUIRED to be worn by ALL visitors, as per the guidance of the Governor and CDC.
- The Center will have social distance markers on the floor, strategically placed sanitization stations, and plexiglass dividers where necessary.
- The IMAX Theater will show our latest feature, Into America’s Wild, at 11:00 am and 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm Monday through Saturday, and from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm on Sunday. Also playing will be Backyard Wilderness, showing at 12:00 pm every day. Some seats or rows will be unavailable for use to encourage social distancing and the theater will be sanitized between showtimes.
- The Cosmic Cafe will have a limited menu; boxed lunches will not be available for groups.
- Volunteer docents will not be available; there will be no docent-led tours until further notice.
- The MaxFlight Simulator will be closed until further notice.
We are also instituting the following changes to our summer camps:
- Class sizes will change to correspond with the Governor’s orders and CDC guidelines for gathered groups, which are currently 10 or fewer campers, down from our normal class size of 25 students.
- We will no longer offer lunch options for campers and those who have already purchased lunch will receive a refund.
- Campers will have individual supply kits which will not be shared with any other campers.
- Hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes will be available in every classroom and will be used between activities and upon re-entering the classrooms from other areas of the Center.
- There will be strict procedures for entering and exiting the building, including no contact doors and designated staff entryways.
We will continue to monitor conditions and reevaluate our safety requirements as necessary, keeping this page updated as changes are made. Our top priority is to ensure the health and safety of our patrons and staff. As always, thank you for supporting us with your patronage. We can’t wait to see you!